Carol Wincenc 50th Anniversary: It’s Golden!
Carol Wincenc is one of the most respected and acclaimed flutists performing today. A Grammy-nominated artist, she has performed worldwide with major orchestras and at name festivals and has collaborated as a chamber musician with star ensembles and soloists. Her virtuosity, deeply heartfelt musicality, and ebullient charisma have combined to make her that rare musician – a successful solo flutist – for five decades.
Carol Wincenc 50th Anniversary: It’s Golden! is a three-concert New York series that celebrates this milestone in the 2019-20 season, and highlights the most cherished aspect of her artistic life with the world premieres of five new works commissioned for the occasion. Carol’s deep commitment to the expansion of the flute repertoire is evidenced by the 15 concertos (by Christopher Rouse, Henryk Górecki, Joan Tower, and Jake Heggie, among others), nine chamber works, and 22 solo flute pieces that have been commissioned either by or for her during her career, and the five new works bring the total number to 51. They are:
Jake Heggie – Full Circle Fifty for Flute, Cello, and Piano (Nov. 12, 2019, at The Morgan)
Pierre Jalbert – Air in Motion for Flute and String Quartet (Nov. 12, 2019, at The Morgan)
Sato Matsui – Goldenrod for Flute and Piano (Feb. 23, 2020, at Merkin Concert Hall)
Robert Sirota – Dancing With the Angels for Flute, Viola, and Harp (Feb. 23, 2020, at Merkin Concert Hall)
Larry Alan Smith – Quintet for Flute, Oboe, Viola, Cello and Piano (April 16, 2020, at Staller Center for the Arts at Stony Brook University)
- “Stony Brook professor Carol Wincenc celebrates 50 years as a flutist” – Read the Newsday article
- The third concert of flutist Carol Wincenc’s 50th Anniversary Series, which was scheduled to take place on April 16, 2020, at the Staller Center for the Arts at Stony Brook University, has been postponed to a future date yet to be determined. All events at the Staller Center are cancelled through May 15. www.stallercenter.com
- Listen to Carol’s two-part interview on David Osenberg’s “Cadenza” on WWFM: Part 1 and Part 2
- “Carol Wincenc fêtes a 50-year career with a pair of world premieres” – Read on New York Classical Review
- Carol Wincenc “Only at Merkin with Terrance McKnight” Features World Premieres by Sato Matsui & Robert Sirota – Feb. 23, 2020 – Press release
- Carol Wincenc 50th Anniversary: It’s Golden! celebrates the Grammy-nominated flutist’s five decades on the concert stage in 2019-20: Three concerts feature world premieres of five works commissioned for the occasion, by Jake Heggie, Pierre Jalbert, Sato Matsui, Robert Sirota, and Larry Alan Smith – Press release