George and Nora London Foundation for Singers
“The annual [George London Foundation] competition continues to be conducted with dignity, class and an aura of discovery by London’s widow, Nora, whose abiding respect for singers, love of the singing voice and admiration for her husband’s incomparable career pervade the whole valuable enterprise.” -MusicalAmerica.com
The George and Nora London Foundation for Singers has been honoring, supporting, and presenting the finest young opera singers in the U.S. and Canada for more than four decades.
Since 1971, the annual competition of the George London Foundation for Singers has given its George London Awards, and a total of more than $2 million, to an outstanding roster of young American and Canadian opera singers who have gone on to international stardom – the list of past winners includes Christine Brewer, Joyce DiDonato, Renée Fleming, Catherine Malfitano, James Morris, Matthew Polenzani, Sondra Radvanovsky, Neil Shicoff, and Dawn Upshaw.
The recital series began at the Morgan Library & Museum in 1995 as a way to give grantees exposure and experience, and, in many cases, a New York debut. Each season consists of three recitals featuring recent award winners sometimes paired with a well-known international artist – often a past George London Award winner.
In September 2022, the foundation was renamed the George and Nora London Foundation for Singers to honor equally the work of Nora London, who ran the foundation as its president from 1985 until 2022.
- George and Nora London Foundation Presents Lindsay Kate Brown, Mezzo-soprano – “Serenading the Hours: A Day to Night Recital” on October 22, 2023 – Press release
- George and Nora London Foundation 2023-24 Season Is Announced: Lindsay Kate Brown, Blake Denson, and the 52nd Annual Competition – Press release
- Read about Benjamin Taylor’s George and Nora London Foundation Recital in Seen and Heard International
- George and Nora London Foundation Presents Benjamin Taylor, Baritone, in Recital on April 16, 2023 – Press release
- Read about the 2023 George and Nora London Foundation Competition in Seen and Heard International, OperaWire, SlippedDisc, Musical America, Voce di Meche, and Ludwig Van
- The 2023 George London Award Winners Are Announced – Press release
- George and Nora London Foundation Competition 2023, Public Final Round February 17 – Press release
- George London Foundation for Singers Becomes the George and Nora London Foundation for Singers – Press release
- Read about Raehann Bryce-Davis’s George and Nora London Foundation Recital in Opera News, Gay City News, OperaWire, and Seen and Heard International
- George London Foundation Presents Raehann Bryce-Davis, Mezzo-Soprano, in Recital, October 2, 2022 – Press release
- George London Foundation Presents “Nora London – A Celebration” on September 18, 2022, at The Morgan – Press release
- Nora E. London, January 8, 1924 – June 23, 2022 – Press release
- George London Foundation 2022-23 Season: Raehann Bryce-Davis, Benjamin Taylor, and the 51st Annual Competition – Press release
- George London Foundation Presents Aaron Blake, Tenor, in Recital, April 24, 3033 – Press release
- Read about the 2022 George London Foundation Competition on Seen and Heard International, OperaWire, Slipped Disc, and Musical America
- The 2022 George London Award Winners Are Announced – Press release
- Susanna Phillips To Host The 50th George London Foundation Competition Final Round – Livestream on Feb. 25, 2022 – Press release
- George London Foundation for Singers Announces Events for 2021-22 Season at The Morgan Library & Museum – Press release
Click here for past news about the George London Foundation for Singers
Photo by Jennifer Taylor: Winners of the 2019 George London Foundation Awards Competition, and Nora London (center)